|Bisacodyl (oral)||Dulcolax® 5mg||5-15mg daily at bedtime|
|Senna||Senokot® 8.6mg||2 at bedtime, max=4 daily|
|Magnesium hydroxide||Milk of Magnesia (400/5)||30-60ml at bedtime|
USE: Are effective as initial therapy to treat constipation but should not be used for more than 1 week, without a physician recommendation.
HOW IT WORKS: Increases contractions by local irritation of the intestinal smooth muscle, stimulating secretion of water and electrolytes.
- Causes discoloration of urine
- Temporary measure, do not use for longer than one week, without consultation.
- These agents are often abused.
- Are excreted in breast milk.
- May cause harmless darkening pigmentation of colon
- May color the urine from pink to brown.
- Senokot® (senna) 8.6mg/ tablet.
Dosage: start 2 tablets at bedtime do not exceed 2 tablets twice daily
Senna is often combined with a docusate.
- Dulcolax® (bisacodyl) 5mg tablets 10mg suppositories
Dosage: start with 1 tablet at bedtime. Usual adult dose is 2 tablets at bedtime.
NOTE: this product has a protective coating so do not crush or chew. Do not take within 1 hour of antacids, milk or any product that raises gastric pH.
USE: can be used as an antacid for temporary relief of heartburn, or occasionally as a laxative.
HOW IT WORKS: Highly osmotic ions draw water into the intestine and cause an increase in the pressure inside the bowels, thereby exerting movements of the feves.
Drug interactions : be sure to consult your Thompson Pharmacist and have them check for drug interactions with heart medications and antibiotics.
- May lead excessive magnesium levels, especially in patients with kidney disease.
- May see abdominal cramping, excessive urination, nausea, vomiting, dehydration electrolyte disturbances, loss of bowel control.
- Milk of Magnesia 400mg/5ml
Is an 8% suspension of magnesium hydroxide
Antacid: For the temporary relief of heartburn, upset stomach, sour stomach, or acid indigestion.
Laxative: For relief of occasional constipation. Expect results within 30 minutes to 6 hours.
Dose: 1 to 2 ounces at bedtime. Shake well before using and follow dose with 8 oz of water.
Some drug companies use their “brand names” for different laxative products. Be sure to consult your Thompson Pharmacist for any laxative selection.